Road Map Mondays - Review of Dream in Color Everlasting

For this week's edition of Road Map Mondays, I bring you a review of Dream in Color's line of Everlasting yarn.  The generous folks at Dream in Color sent me this yarn for review, but as always opinions are my own.

Dream in Color Everlasting

The Everlasting base is made up of several plies of 100% super wash Australian merino wool spun and hand-dyed here in the U.S.  The DK version is a 12 ply yarn and the Sock has 9 plies.  The multitude of plies adds to the durability of the yarn - hence the name, Everlasting.  The DK yarn has a put-up of 275 yards for 100 grams and knits at 5.5-6 stitches to the inch on US 5 or 6 needles.  On the other hand, Sock  comes with 420 yards in a 100 gram skein, knitting up at 7.5 to 9 stitches per inch on US 0 to US 2 sized needles.  A quick search of online retailers carrying the yarn shows that each sells for about $25-26 per skein.

Dream in Color Everlasting

For purposes of this review, I knit up the skein of DK that I received in the Naked Shame color way - a coppery brown that has shades of olive green throughout.  A depth of color that we have come to expect from Dream in Color hand painted yarns.  Since I had a couple weeks this month when I did not even pick up my knitting needles thanks to my husband's Valentine's Day cross-stitch project, I was in the mood for a quick start-to-finish project.  So off to Ravelry I went to find a pattern that would quickly use up the 275 yards.  While this yarn feels like a true DK, I knew I could easily pick a pattern meant for worsted weight and make it work so I browsed patterns for both weights.  After a few moments, I knew the perfect pattern - Flax by Tin Can Knits.  Perhaps it was the power of suggestion in that the sample sweaters for this pattern are knit in fall colors, similar to the copper yarn that had been sitting on the desk as I browsed through the search results.  I was also drawn to this pattern because of its simplicity of mostly stockinette stitch with sections of garter on the sleeves, which would allow me to see how the yarn knits up in both stitches.  Regardless, I found a great match!

So Saturday morning I began the sweater and by Sunday evening it was drying on the blocking mats.  The yarn knit up swiftly and beautifully.  This round yarn has beautiful stitch definition that I imagine would also look quite lovely knit up in cables as well.  I found it soft, but not too soft, and it did not split at all while I was knitting with my Hiya Hiya sharp needles.  A plus all around.

Dream in Color Everlasting 

As this yarn is 100% super wash merino, the care instructions state that it is machine-wash, dry flat or tumble dry until damp.  I hand washed the sweater as the washer had been full of yet another load of DH's snow shoveling clothes at the time I bound off. After it air dried for a bit, I tossed it in the dryer for about 20 minutes to finish drying.  I am pleased to report that the sweater came out looking the same as it did before it went into its bath - excellent stitch definition, soft and not a pill or fuzz to be found.  Overall, I am quite satisfied with this yarn and I can see it becoming a staple yarn in the stash.

Would you like a skein of Everlasting Sock to add to YOUR stash?  Well, you could check out their website to find an LYS near you that carries the yarn.  Or I will do you one better - Dream in Color sent me a second skein (this one in Everlasting Sock, pictured below) to include as part of the giveaway for the Commuter Knitter Podcast's 3rd birthday celebration!  How nice is that?!  Just head on over to the contest thread over the show's Ravelry group for your chance to enter.  Winners will be selected from the contest thread by random number generator the first week of March, so there is still plenty of time to add your entry!  Usual contest rules apply - you must be a member of the Ravelry group and one post per person.

Dream in Color Everlasting



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Road Maps - A Review & Giveaway for Mystic Shawls by Anna Dalvi

30 Day Sweater - Raglan Increases Tutorial

Commuter Knitter - Episode 105 - You Would Think This Would Be Like Riding a Bike